Foreign Workforce Employment
Employment Permit System
Employment Permit System
The Employment Permit System allows employers who have failed to hire native workers to legally hire an
adequate number of foreign workers and is an system that the government introduced to manage foreign workers in Korea in an organized manner.
- The Employment Permit System is a program implemented in August, 2004 to help small companies to solve their labor shortages.
Foreign Workforce Policy Committee : EPS Planning
- Select sending countries based on the rate of illegally staying workers, preference by employers and etc. (The sending countries and the Korean government sign MOU on sending workers to the Republic of Korea under the EPS)
- Determine the quota of work force per each industry.
- Develop a policy on hiring foreign workers.
Sending Countries : 15 countries
- Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, China, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, Timor-Leste
- Manufacturing, Construction, Service, Fishing, Agriculture and Stock-breeding
Selection of Foreign workers
- 1) EPS-TOPIK(Passing is a basic requirement of employment of Korea but it does not guarantee employment)
- Test section: Listening & reading (25 questions each), Multiple choice (4 options), All Private questions
- Test pass criteria: Relative evaluation-selecting as much as needed foreign workers from the top.
The score should be at least 80 (out of 200)
2)Job Skills Test
- Test Areas : Physical fitness, interview, basic job performance skills
¨ç Applicants with a good test score (240+ in total or 40+ in all test areas) will have an advantage in selection process.
¨è Applicants will have priority in application process.
Hiring Foreign Workforce
- Employers have to make an efforts to hire national workers for 14days and can apply to issue
Employment Permit for foreign workers if the efforts are failed
- Employers can make a Labor Contract by themselves or proxy
¡Ø Employment Procedure
Support Stay of Foreign Workers
- Counseling Service
- 24 hour hot line for both employers and foreign workers¡¯ counseling(1577-0071)*
- Monitoring program in the early stage of entry
- Foreign workers help center (7 regional bases, 26 local offices)
¡Ø Counseling Service Center
- Located in Ansan, Gyeonggi, the facilities offers counseling service to visitors and callers (E-9,H-2).
- Interpretation service is available free of charge to foreign workers who came to South Korea under the EPS.
Address : 3F, Emerald B/D, 16, Gojan2-gil, Danwon-gu, Ansan, Gyeonggi
Hours : 7 days a week (09:00-18:00)
languages : 15 languages
|(Dial) ¢Ï 1577-0071 + Select Language Number + *
- Training Win-Win for Employer and foreign workers- Conduct training program to develop job ability for foreign workers
- Provide foreign worker management training for employers(HR, labor, foreign culture etc.)
- Provide orientation for workers changing workplaceto adapt new work place
Support Return ProgramReturn Program to Prevent Illegal Stay
- Campaign for Voluntary Return
- Guide foreign workers to return to their home country by giving notice by fax or mail two months prior to
- Social networking for returnees
- Job information sharing in home countries
- Job training for local Korean companies
- Re-entry system of Foreign Committed Workers- Foreign workers who have served their employment term (4 years 10 months) without changing workplace are
allowed to come back after 3 months and work for an additional 4 years and 10 months.
- Re-entry by special EPS-TOPIK
- Foreign workers who have been employed under the EPS for 3 years and returned to their country voluntarily
within the term (E-9) are allowed to come back earlier and not required to take job training session before entry
- Insurance payment back
- Applicable insurance: Insurance expires on leaving Korea, Insurance covering the cost of leaving Korea
- Insurance company: Samsung Life Insurance Consortium(Tel:02-2119-2400)
- You can also claim insurance at the In-cheon International Airport (Shin-han Bank : Incheon International Airport