National Qualification Test
Outline of N.T.Q. System
Outline of N.T.Q. System
- After Korea's independence, each department created and operated technical qualifications to raise and to evaluate
professionals based on each project law.
- In mid-1950, national qualification did not exist legally. And civil societies with people sharing the same interests run
qualifications like abacus and bookkeeping.
¡Ø From 1958, each department created and managed new technical qualifications.
¡Ø From late 1950, civilians started to implement qualification examinations for office management field.
- Skill examination system started to be implemented according to vocational training law enacted in 1967.
- By setting up national technical qualification law in 1973, qualifications which were divided and managed at the
individual divisions and departments were integrated and managed in total.
¡Ø Technical Category Qualification 3 degrees (Professional Engineer, Engineer 1 class, 2 class), Skilled Category
Qualification 4 degrees (Master Craftsman, Craftsman Class 1, Craftsman Class 2, Craftsman Assistant)= Total 7
¡Ø Korea Technical Examination Agency under the Ministry of Science & Technology integrated and implemented the
examination of national technical qualification.
- The government could examine and raise directly human resources for Industrial technology and assist economic growth
development focused on export-driven economy policy in 1970¡¯s.
- Transferring the management of national technical qualification system from Ministry of Science and Technology to
- Ministry of Labor, to strengthen related qualifications and vocational training in 1981.
¡Ø Organization responsible for qualification examination, Korea Technical Examination Agency, was absorbed and
integrated into Korea Vocational training management Agency.
- Strengthening post-management like qualification system, operation system and qualification-holder utilization
¡Ø Establishing monitoring committee of technical qualification system in 1981, adding qualification for service category
in 1983 and consigning qualification examination about service category to the Korea Chambers of Commerce and
Industry in 1984
- Reinforcing utilization through priority employment for qualification holders about skills, preferential treatment for national
technical qualification holders when receiving authorization and permission
- Assisting more efficiently for technology-intensive industrial policy during 1980' by increasing more qualification holders
and post management
- Role Assignment between the government and civil sectors regarding controlled field and management function by
national technical qualification system.
¡Ø Civil sectors could utilize the qualification examination of technical field by setting up qualification basis law in 1997.
- System maintenance including national technical qualification system
¡Ø Eradicating classification between technical and skilled categories and service category in 1997, Simplifying
qualification degrees from 8 to 5 in 1998.
¡Ø Demolishing the education of salary and registration renewal regulation for qualification holders in 1999 in terms of
- Reorganizing national technical qualification system to bring more advanced industrial structure and more participation
¡Ø Consigning standard to expand qualification examination and to introduce consigning standard and assistance and
evaluation system in 2004.
¡Ø Reorganizing national technical qualification monitoring committee and composing professional committee focused on
- Having more innovative methods to operate customer-oriented national technical qualification system to meet